Thursday, May 17, 2012

Skate It or Hang It?

.

For almost 30 years I have kept my foot in the skateboarding world because of family, friends and my love of the culture that has been created surrounding skating.

One aspect of the culture that has always held my heart in its hands is the art.

There have been countless boards I wish that I could have laid the bucks out for just to slap up on the wall. There are companies out there that have had incredible art departments that have churned out iconic designs. Some of these have crossed over in to the mainstream. The Independent Trucks Maltese cross and the Spitfire Wheels flaming devil head are two quick examples that come to mind. Try and find a pick up truck somewhere in America that doesn't have at least one of these emblazoned on it and I would be willing to bet cash money the owner knows nothing about the origin of the design.

On June 16th, The Museum of Design Atlanta will begin hosting a retrospective on the graphics used on decks dating back to the origins of skateboarding. Some of the artists expected to be on hand are the legendary Jim Phillips, Andy Howell, Lance Mountain, Steve Olson and Wes Humpston who's responsible for the storied Dogtown Graphics of the 1970s. The exhibition will be running until September 16, 2012.

It's one of the few times that I can say that I wish I was going to be in humid HOTLANTA over the summer but this installation would be worth the salt loss. If you find yourself within reasonable traveling distance, get there to see this for yourself. - Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment